Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 7 - Campers vs. Pros

Today was a fun and relaxed day where each team got to play against the pros over in the new Goodyear Ballpark. We had a huge crowd over there watching us...perhaps 20-30! They started with the introduction of the champions and then the pros. One of the campers then sang the National Anthem (and did a good job).

Tom Browning started off for the pros against us and was throwing hard! I have been batting 5th in the last few games and so I got to face him in the second inning. I am embarrassed to say that he whiffed me. I guess I am not the first or the last to do so.
After we played about 3 innings so everyone could get one at bat, the game ended and there were congratulations all around. I watched the next game from the pros dugout and got ready to catch the third game. I had the honor to catch for Kent Mercker who just retired in 2008. He can still throw at 42! I caught 4 innings with him and did a good job. He came over to me between innings and told me I was doing great. Most of the stuff was fastballs and one or two change ups. He did manage to cross me up once when he pitched throwing behind his back! Was not expecting that one! The rest of the day was spent hanging out in the pros dugout and catching a few more stories from some of the guys. They have all been great this week but I must say I have especially enjoyed my time with Jim Maloney, Jack Billingham and Joe Oliver. They were down to earth guys and shared some good baseball information and some great stories.
Tonight is the awards dinner so that will be the last function here at the camp as everyone heads home in the morning. I will put up another post tomorrow with stuff from the dinner. I have met a number of new friends here this week and been invited to play in an October camp/tournament in Tuscon. All in all it has been a wonderful experience that I will never forget. Thank you Mary!!!

2 comments: